Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Ripple Effect


Ripple Effect
Everything that we do has consequences. This is common knowledge. What most people do not know is how far our ripple effect goes. What is a ripple effect? A ripple effect is when you do something either good or bad and it causes other people to do the same. One good deed done for a stranger can continue to be paid forward farther than anyone can ever imagine.

My personal experience of a ripple effect starts with a man who returned my wallet when it fell out of my pocket while shopping at Menards. I was in a rush and was carrying a few large items to my car when I did not realize that my wallet fell out of my pocket in the parking lot. It contained over $700 in cash. I was on my way to the bank when I realized that it was missing. I panicked and started looking through my car. When I could not find it I went back to Menards praying that someone would return it if I lost it there.

When I got to Menards I went to the service desk and asked if anyone found a wallet. They asked me my name and said that some man came in and found a wallet in the parking lot. I was relieved. Truthfully, I figured the money would be gone but there were things in my wallet that I could not replace which were more important. I was told by the service desk that the man refused to leave the wallet with them because it contained a lot of money. They told me that he was going to return it to the address on my license which was my brother's house in the next town over. I never updated my license when I moved out. I thanked them and ran to my car.

I was speeding to my brother's house hoping to meet this man to thank him when my brother called me and asked if I lost something. The man was at his house returning my wallet. I spoke with him on the phone and thanked him profusely. I offered him money for returning my wallet. All the man said to me was to pay it forward and that he would not accept any reward money. When I got to my brother's house the man was gone and I never met him. My brother said he seemed like a very nice man and made fun of me for losing my wallet...again (yes I have a problem with that).

So how did I pay it forward? A few months later I won a storage auction that contained items from a doctor's office. Apparently the previous owner was a plastic surgeon who got into a car accident and had to close his practice down for a few months while he recovered. He fell upon hard times and lost everything. I contacted the good doctor and gave him his medical records back, his diplomas and some personal items. He was amazed that someone cared enough to seek him out to return those important items. I ended up cutting him a good deal on buying some of his books back and other items that he did not want to lose. I even stored them for a few months so that he could get himself together financially to be able to purchase these items back. I was not able to give him everything free because I had money invested, but I made it easy for him to have the opportunity to get back the things that mattered most to him. He was beyond appreciative.

I think about the man that returned my wallet and how he went out of his way to make sure that I received everything back that I needed. In return I did the same for someone else and told the good doctor to pay it forward. Doctors have the ability to help people in a way that not everyone can. I sincerely hope that he remembers me and does something amazing for someone else.

The ripple effect of the man who returned my wallet could have a long reach. When we pass away we will be able to see our ripple effect and how far it really extends. Remember that when you have the opportunity to do something good or help someone. Sometimes it can be very inconvenient to help someone, but it is worth it! Keep your ripple effect going now!

0 comments: